Friday 24 May 2019

Abuse of Lambdas

So, sometimes when you have an existing software structure, with lots of domain rules inside, it becomes difficult to change. Especially when there is a lot of cohesion between your classes.

This is the problem of tight coupling, as opposed to loose coupling1.

I recently encountered this in our software.

And of course, I needed to change something deep inside.

Now, I didn't need to change anything about the domain logic. It was very good and working as intended.

But I needed a change purely for technical reasons. In this case, the domain logic was used in a Batch Processing on Hibernate Entities, and the domain logic was (in this case, not normally) generating a lot of Entities, and they were all persisted in the Session Context, which naturally grew. And then the dirty check and the session closing takes a long time, etc, etc. See reference [2] on why this's bad.

So I was looking for a way to persist entities, without adding them to all the collections with the CascadeType without changing the domain logic too much, and also keep the default behaviour as standard.

I didn't want to use inheritance, as it was a persisted Hibernate Entity.

So, I came up with the following hack:

Quite simply, I can now add behaviour to an Entity when I need it.

For example:

As me and my colleague say "A seemingly innocent first step on a slippery slope to hell."

Of course, this kind of abuse has always been possible, but it is now easier to do than ever (without having to create an entire class for the priviledge).

References

[1] Wikipedia - Loose coupling
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loose_coupling
[2] Vlad Mihalcea - The best way to do batch processing with JPA and Hibernate
https://vladmihalcea.com/the-best-way-to-do-batch-processing-with-jpa-and-hibernate/

No comments:

Post a Comment