Wednesday 18 July 2018

IKEA hack: toddler learning tower stool

I occasionally do a bit of very amateurish woodworking, and my wife found a website with the following learning tower stool1.

As the website indicates, it is basically a Ikea BEKVÄM stool2, added on top is a wooden frame where the child can climb into so he/she is secure and can help me out with cooking.

I am neither a professional painter nor a professional carpenter, and for this I do not need to be. The screws to affix the pieces of wood are still clearly visible (just recessed far enough in the wood) and the painting could have been better (the website mentions spray painting for a more even nicer coat), but it sufficed for my purposes.

itemmeasurements (in cm)amount
Wood
rod31 long, 1 diameter1
vertical supports39.5 x 3.5 x 1.84
hortizontal supports, short16.4 x 6.7 x 1.84
horizontal supports, long31 x 6.7 x 1.82
Other stuff
screws, long0.4 x 710
screws, short0.35 x 414
white primer paint
white wood paint, matt
Tools
drill
screwdriver
tape measure or ruler
sandpaper
pencil

Unfortunately, our son is growing a bit big for the item, but he enjoys climbing/crawling into and out of it, when I start cooking, to help me out. But I should have made the stool a little earlier, so it was an easier fit for him. Kids grow so fast.

The screws in the picture above are clearly visible.

References

[1] Ikea Hack: Toddler Learning Tower Stool
http://happygreylucky.com/ikea-hack-toddler-learning-tower-stool/
[2] Ikea BEKVÄM Step stool, white
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40178888/

No comments:

Post a Comment